When you change your internet service provider (ISP) or package (AKA service plan), you can continue using your Whitebox to ensure what you are getting is what you expect.
- How to update your ISP or package details
- How to find out your internet speed tier
- ISP and package updates FAQ
How to update your ISP or package details
If you have changed your ISP or package, please wait until your new service has been activated. Your Whitebox should be connected to your new router (if one has been supplied). For guidance on reconnecting, see how to set up your Whitebox.
Once your new service has been activated, please email email@example.com with the following details:
- Name of ISP
- Name of your new package
- Package speed tiers (download speed x upload speed) (if known)
- Date your new service will begin (if known)
We will then update the information in our system. Changes normally take up to 48 hours to go through.
During the transition, please keep your Whitebox connected.
How to find out your internet speed tier
Internet speed tiers are the download and upload speeds that your ISP lists for your package. These can be the same or different. Upload speed is generally lower than download.
In some cases, we may need to confirm your package’s speed tier with you before we can update our system.
If you don’t know your package’s speeds, please check your internet billing information or contact your ISP directly.
Ask your ISP to breakdown your agreed download and upload speeds for your package. For example, it might be “up to 100 Mbps down” and “up to 50 Mbps up” (100x50).
ISP and package updates FAQ
Why doesn’t my ISP appear in SamKnows One?
If your ISP isn’t listed or appears as ‘Miscellaneous’ in SamKnows One, there are a number of reasons for this may be:
- Your ISP isn’t listed in our database yet: our database of ISPs is vast. We are adding new ones regularly.
- Some ISPs are subsidiaries of larger companies (e.g. in the United Kingdom, Now Broadband is owned by Sky) or give their internet services separate branding. In SamKnows One, these ISPs/brands are listed as their parent company.
- You are part of a study group and have joined an ISP that is not participating in your study. In this case, we will update your details, but your ISP will be listed as ‘Misc’ on your account.
If any of these cases apply to you, please contact us with all of the correct information requested above. We will then update your account.
My Whitebox is showing results way below what they should be. What can I do?
Whitebox 8.0 is our latest and most advanced measuring unit. It is capable of measuring fixed-line broadband connections of up to 1Gbps.
If you’re using one of our older Whitebox models – such as Whitebox 3.0 (wdr3600), Whitebox 5.0 (wdr4900) or Whitebox 6.0 (ac1750v2) – it’s possible that your new package speeds are not supported by your current model.
You can see all of our Whitebox models and their measuring capabilities here.
If your download or upload speeds exceed the maximum measurable speed for your Whitebox, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.